Monday, May 01, 2006

Printing from a Cleared Block - and news

During the week, I printed from several blocks that had cleared areas at the edge. I do clear these areas carefully, using a couple of "scorpers" to take out the wood. I do find that even these carefully cleared areas can print under great pressure, leaving small spots of black. This typically happens after printing twenty or thirty perfect prints. A simple solution is to ink the block and then place a small card mask over the offending area. One drawback is the fact that this makes printing slightly slower but the quality of the finished prints is more important than speed. Here is photograph:


You can see the piece of thin white card that I have laid over the cleared area. It is very important to keep this card clean so that ink does not transfer to the print.

It has been a very busy week. The CG bookplates are completed and posted. I framed and delivered my selection for the Cambridge Drawing Society. This is an old-established society and I was pleased to have all my work selected, as it has been for many years.

I have been spring cleaning the studio and making one or two changes. Firstly, I set up a small platform to raise the work a few inches. This is to ease pains in my neck and shoulders that I am prone to. It has been qute successful so far.


Secondly, I have shelved the end wall. I was reluctant to do this, as I wanted to hang pictures tere but I am pleased with the results. I have lots of things at hand and the floor is now (almost) clear again. This made my spring clean easy and the oom is looking spic and span. Here is a view:


J is away to stay at her sister's house in France so I am spending the evenings working on current projects. I have several final drawings to complete and an engraving to finish. I am still not taking on new work in the hope that I can not only clear my backlog but produce good work. I hate to rush and then be disappointed with the results.

Hmmmm - midnight - better get back to work.

3 comments:

Diane Cutter said...

Thank you for a look into how and where you work. I always love to see how other artists are set up...

Hugo Sleestak said...

Thanks for the photos, Andy. It was interesting seeing the magnifying glass on your desk. I've read warnings against them in old primers on engraving - they seemed to think that magnifiers were actually more taxing on the eyes. Do you know if that was just an oddball opinion of the olden days? Obviously you see it as something helpful in your own skillful work.

Andy English said...

Thsnk you both for your comments. As far as the magnifying glass is concerned, I think that it is probably more of a strain on my back than my eyes. I suspect that many old-timers would have engraved for much longer periods at a time than I do. I take a break every 15 minutes or so. Also, I tend to use the glass when I am working on very detailed areas, such as lettering.

I will check with my Optometrist, as soon as she returns from Frace. She 'phoned this evening and reported hot weather over there. She aqlso reported some interesting proprties - perhaps its time to relocate.

Bonjour, je m'appelle Andy. Je grave sur le bois.